Monday 13 August 2012

Second Ironman Syndrome



Well I did the race and I've (literally) got the T-shirt.

The question that I keep asking myself is, should I do another Ironman race? And this in itself raises further questions

  • Should I do Ironman Wales again?
  • Should I do a race that is notoriously fast?
  • Should I do an overseas Ironman race?
  • Does it need to be an Ironman branded race?
  • Can I do the training again?
  • Is it fair to expect the commitment from my family? 
  • Will I be just as motivated the second time around?

The problem with endurance sport is that it takes up a lot of time. I currently train about 9 hours per week and this works out fine as I can train before I go to work and do a bit on the weekends around doing family type things

And 9 hours is plenty for my ability and for anything up to standard distance races. But when these volumes need to be ramped up with morning and evening sessions as well as longer sessions on the weekend where family life has to work around me, that's when it becomes a physical, mental and emotional strain.

OK, I could just continue with my current training levels and most probably I'd adequately complete another Ironman race, but I'd know deep within myself that I hadn't given my best and that when I lined up on that starting line I'd know I hadn't done enough.

Unless I can convince myself that I'm up for this again, it's not even worth speaking to Ang to see if she's up for having another Ironman adventure (at least her marathon training won't clash with mine). Only when there are ticks against these two boxes can I move onto the finessing of deciding which race to do.

So the questions in order of priority are

  1. Do I have the motivation?
  2. Do I have the support?
  3. What race shall I do? 
 At the moment question 1 remains unanswered, and until that is resolved, there's no point in taking it further. So, it looks like I'm in for some internal dialogue.

1 comment:

  1. YOU need motivation?
    You're training wiv me now mush.
    There's the motiv,
    Now move the fuck on to Q2.

    ReplyDelete